Beef Chuck Short Ribs……Hannford – $5.49/lb. I was looking for something different this weekend for Sunday dinner and decided to give these a whirl. I bought a package that weighed about 1.5lbs and was on my way! I seared them on both sides so they had a nice brown caramelized look then braised them. They came out delicious!! Here is the recipe….
1.5 lb package of beef chuck short ribs ( give or take weight)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion – diced
1 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
1 container fresh sliced white mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 1/2 cups beef stock
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
POT/PAN to use: Cast Iron Dutch Oven – Stovetop
1. Put olive oil in the bottom of the pan and turn heat to medium high add the short ribs. Do not crowd the pan or they will steam rather than brown. You may need to do 2 batches. Sear the ribs on each side until browned and remove from pan and place on a plate. 3-5 minutes on each side.
2. Turn heat to medium and add chopped onion and garlic to the pan and sautee until translucent and golden.
3. Add mushrooms and cook until browned about 5-8 minutes.
4. Turn heat back up to medium high heat and add the white wine and let the alcohol burn off. Add the beef stock, can of tomatoes, fresh thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
5. Cover and turn heat to low and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stirring occassionaly.
6. Sauce will reduce and thicken as it simmers.
7. Discard thyme and bay leaf and serve.